Benefits of Using Oral Appliances For Snoring & Sleep Apnea
Healthy teeth, healthy gums and also…healthy sleep! When it comes to oral health care, patients can turn to Dr.
Mathison for guidance, as he has helped many patients improve their sleep.
Dr. Mathison has incorporated dental sleep medicine as part of his existing practice and it is a growing segment of
dentistry that focuses on managing snoring and sleep apnea with oral appliance therapy. An oral appliance is an
effective alternative to the standard continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine and mask.
Oral appliance therapy is an effective, non-invasive treatment option that fits easily into your lifestyle. A dental
oral appliance is a mouth guard-like device worn only during sleep to maintain an open, unobstructed airway by
supporting the jaw in a forward position. First, a physician must diagnose you with obstructive sleep apnea and
prescribe oral appliance therapy for you. Then, Dr. Mathison can work with you to select the best oral appliance for
your needs. he will custom-fit the device using impressions and models of your teeth.
Many patients prefer oral appliance therapy as a solution for living with sleep apnea. It provides them much improved
sleep and offers the following benefits:
- Comfort – It can be hard to sleep with a CPAP machine and bulky mask. Patients often like oral appliances
because they are comfortable and easier to wear, especially for those who change positions during sleep or snuggle
with their bed partner.
- Quiet – A CPAP machine may silence the snoring, but its constantly running motor might not help you or your
bed partner sleep more soundly. Oral appliance therapy is a silent option that can minimize the symptoms of sleep
apnea, such as loud snoring with no sound.
- Easy Travel – It can be difficult to travel with a bulky CPAP machine. A compact, lightweight oral
appliance can help lessen your load.
- Low-maintenance – It is super easy to care for an oral appliance. Just a toothbrush cleaning with mild soap
will keep your appliance germ-free.
- Effective Treatment– Research shows that oral appliance therapy is an effective alternative to CPAP. When
patients consistently wear their oral appliance, they wake up each morning feeling refreshed.
For those of you seeking treatments for snoring and sleep apnea, schedule a
consultation by calling 218-233-4267 or making an appointment here: Request an Appointment.
We can work together to get you sleeping more soundly!